Pahoa Lava Flow Up-date
Stay at Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast and experience the Pahoa lava flow first hand: Hale Moana Bed & Breakfast is 7 miles away from the lava flow and Pahoa, in a safe area. There is no danger of lava inundation here and currently no air quality issues.
Here are some facts about the June 27 Pahoa lava flow:
- Speed and Volatility of the Flow: Hawaii lava flows progress very slowly and are completely different from plinian eruptions at Mount St. Helens (1980) and Mt. Pinatubo (1991)
- Size of the Flow: This current flow is 80 yards wide at the flow front.
- Lava Glow visible: Even though public access is not available at this time, because the flow is going through residential areas, it is possible to watch the lava glow from Pahoa Village Road.
- Access to Pahoa and the B&B: Alternate routes provide safe and adequate access in case the main highway is crossed by lava.
- Pahoa Infrastructure and Life: Even though the lava flow is moving forward and going to split the town in half, residents are resilient and life continues in this little town that is also called the "Heart of Puna" : Restaurants are open, banks and post office are doing business as usual, stores are serving customers, no interruption of utilities gas stations are pumping gas!
- to the latest Civil Defense press conference providing a comprehensive Q & A session
- to the latest USGS press conference providing information from the Hawaii Volcanoes Observatory